Sunday, 15 May 2016

Tavern part 3

So i finished the bulk of the painting on this stage of the tavern build.I applied some graveyard earth the wooden cladding on the front drybrushing with some bleached bone before a wash of nuln oil and devlan mud.I settled on a white theme for the main exterior wall and continued the scorching and burning effect around the weathered areas of wood with watered down chaos black followed by a drybrush of codex grey and skull white

For the inside i took a darker approach with the wood as the majority of fire damage would occur on the interior .Starting with scorched brown before working up to graveyard earth. I then continued the fire and smoke damage but this time applied it much heavier to the interior walls. I  also applied it to the rubble scattered around the second floor to help with the smoke damage effect i was going with.I then picked out some od the details like the lantern and shield on the first floor

Im finished with this piece for now apart from adding a tavern sign from the fortified manor kit over the door and possibly some extra details like furniture and decorations once have it set on a permanent base.Thankfully it was quite sturdy after the glue had dried but still needs to be solidly grounded

Thursday, 12 May 2016

Tavern part 2

Over the last day or so i got cracking on with the tavern.I got the brickwork on the ground floor painted using the same method i applied to the fountain.I also added some smoke damage around ruined areas of wall using a heavy drybrush of chaos black working up to codex grey and skull white as i got closer to the centre.

After i had the brickwork done i started building the second level.Deciding on a wooden structure i glued some cut up pop sticks together to get the basic shape i was after.I Added some decorative cladding using more pop sticks and a window from the fortified manor kit.I had to scrap the original second story floor base as it was to weak to support the wall.I  replaced it with another base again using pop sticks.

Once the pva dried i added some much needed support to the second level in the form of an adjoining wooden wall section seperating the second story into two rooms.I also added two support pillars on the ground floor to help keep the second story base level.Unfortunately this cant be seen in the picture as i was afraid to move the structure for a rear view shot.The whole process was extremely messy and difficult especially when working with still drying pva glue.It collapsed so many times i came close to rage quitting a few times!.Thankfully i mustered the pacience to be able to see it through.Im hoping too get working on the paint job for the second storey over the coming days as soon as the glue dries and i work up the courage to actually touch it.I also ended up building the second storey much higher than i anticipated somehow as you can see from the picture.The skeleton spearman is dwarfed by the building!

Sunday, 8 May 2016

Tavern part 1

I decided to keep busy while i was waiting on the water effects on the fountain to dry.So i pushed on to what will accompany the fountain on the first of my 1x1 tiles.A tavern is a nice themed building i thought would go well within the market area.

Using more sprue bricks i built up the front face of the taverns exterior walls.Leaving plenty of gaps where bricks have blown loose or collapsed. I plan to add additional walls corner and pieces later on to close in the structure.I focused on the ground floor adding some timber frames to the original brick structure and then filled in the interior edges with some rubble and other decorative bits.I also added a lantern and a sign to the front entrance.

After the glue from the main structure dried.I built the frame for the second story floor using more sprue cut offs.With wooden floorboards added i glued it directly onto the ruin.Im going to halt construction at this stage and add paint before moving on to the second floor walls.

Fountain part 4 Finished !

After a ridiculously long wait the water effects for the fountain have finally dried.I lost count of the amount of applications i had to use to fill it to a suitable level.I eventually settled for a simpler murky green colour after my first attempt at the water failed.

For the flag i drew a rough shape on some card that was lying around.I made it double sided and cut out the square in the middle to create tabs as you can see in the picture.It was then just a matter of sticking both sides and wrapping it around the flagpole.I stiffened it with some pva glue.

I wanted to keep any flags or banners id be using throughout the project in line with the setting.I could find no official hearaldry for Mordheim.Since it was once the capital of Ostermark i went with the provinces purple and yellow scheme.Which ironically is the colour of the county flag for where im from !

So thats it on the fountain.I am quite happy with the result since this is my first finished piece.came together nicely for something made out of random bits i found around the house.